Friday, March 24, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 3-22-23: Daylight Shavings


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Stone Soup had another in-person open mic at the Assemblage Gallery on Wednesday. I took notes until I couldn't any more. I need to find a better method (or better yet, relearn the method I used when I started this eight years ago). I've become too dependent on recordings since the pandemic. I couldn't remember the second round robin, hence the abrupt ending to the poem. 
 
So it's another word salad with a timely title to attempt to ground it. At least I got a  photo of animated Bil Lewis to share with the Fort Point Arts people who have been asking for shots to use for their advertising.
 
 
Thanks for reading.


Daylight Shavings
 
Tonight's your Ramadan. 
You have a choice. Either
be the one who cooks for
post-fasting army or raw
meet that feeds them. 
These are the decisions.
Be the person asking 
who threw the rock or
the undercover cop 
with a good arm and 
a knack for blending 
in with the misfits,
bound for bus to the
next desperate town.
Fight to die with most
totems. Elders like 
tectonic plates, they
reminisce on once 
destroying so much 
with minimal motion
while passing off
crocodile tears as thirst 
quenching oceans. On
reality TV, children run
up and down trains to 
be first. Elephant in
the asile wishes they
would address them.

Laurel had to go, Bil kept being silly.

 
Special thanks to Bil Lewis, Jan Rowe, Nancy Dodson, Ed Gault, John Engstrom, Seth Friedman, Carol Weston and James Van Looy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment