Monday, June 04, 2007

New Poem

A while back, I posted some info on my (then) upcoming participation in the trolley readings, as part of the "Imagining The Green Line" segment of this year's Somerville Open Studios. Well, the readings happened, and I was glad I participated. Whereas fellow participant Ian Thal took pictures and notes in order to help him write a detailed and insightful post on his blog, I could only focus my energies on writing haikus to help mark the couple of hours I spent reading, riding around, and tormenting the driver (a tremendous sport, she was). This resulted in the poem below, which I print here as a way of saying thanks to Cervena Barva Press' Gloria Mindock, who organized and oversaw the event in spite of illness.


Trolley Haiku
S
ommerville Open Studios, Trolley Poet Reading
For Gloria Mindock

1.

Imagined Green Line
Poets asked to christen path
in lieu of budget.

2.

I, rambling madman
of public transportation?
Counselor was right!

3.

Driver slips off-route.
Poetry’s about new paths,
but where are we man?

4.

Clang clang clang went the
trolley, ding ding ding went the—
I’M TRYING TO READ!

5.

Bump-induced stutters.
Even the haikus I read
sound like s-s-s-sestinas.

6.

For accuracy
pseudo-T’s fight earliness
with random stopping.

7.

Theoretically,
the first poetry slammers:
subway pulpiteers.

8.

For accuracy,
if people aren't listening,
we bellow, make them.

9.

For accuracy,
people briefly remember
our public forums.

10.

For accuracy,
nobody has to admit
that their listening.

5 comments:

Ian Thal said...

I like the senryu.

That was a fun reading. I posted an account of my own ride on the trolley as well. Of course, I'm no stranger to poems about public transportation.

Ian Thal said...

I'm sorry Chad. I was so busy reading your poems that I didn't notice you had already linked to my account of the trolley readings.

However, to be fair, I did not take the photographs. The pictures were by Gloria Mindock. It would not be for another ten days later before I owned a digital camera.

Chad Parenteau said...

Thanks for the comment, Ian.

As for the whole haiku/senryu thing, my position is:

1. The rules for haiku have become lax to the point that I'm comfortable using the term for my five-seven-fives.

2. I announce a poem as a senryu, and the audience will just give me that "dog just shown a card trick" type of stare.

Ian Thal said...

In case you haven't noticed by now, Chad, I relish the "dog just shown a card trick" stare.

Ian Thal said...

By the way, you really should have gone over to my blog and mentioned in the comment section that you had written your own account.

But, since you didn't; I did. May you get many readers.

You really need an archive widget. I had to go to technorati.com (a great resource for bloggers, by the way) in order to find the URL for this post.