Sunday, August 19, 2007

Prep Work, Part 2

I hope it goes without saying that even as I was conceiving my roommate chapbook, I had enough self-awareness to know that I was far from the ideal roommate myself, no matter where I was living. This was driven home once I started living on my own, funny enough.

However, in my defense, I will say living with me involved far less court documentation.

Though I won't be using (at least full) names, I want to have the dedication in the book to the roomies I actually liked in my Brookline apartment. That is, the two roomies I was still friends with who were there when most of the legal crap went down before they fled in the name of sanity (all while still being on good terms with me).

I was thinking of posting legal documents from the time when the drama went down, but its pretty pointless. None of it is actually even mentioned in the chapbook, and after having sifted through a good chunk the letters and files over the weekend, I find that they aren't all that interesting, just sad.

Just recently, I ran into (we'll call him) G, one of the roomies who left a year before our Coolidge Corner living space turned into hot bed of petty politics and meaningless power plays. He had also ran into the main perpetrator of said activity (we'll call the is person _____), who invited G. to a barbecue. I gave G. the twenty second version of everything that happened after he left and even after we all left _____ (which must have made me sound a little mad) and promised him more details, getting his email for later.

So, he said, I shouldn't go to _____'s barbecue?

No, G. No you shouldn't.

No comments: