Friday, December 07, 2007

Dad

Roger Germain Parenteau, 1943-2007


My father passed away on Tuesday. It's Friday morning as I finally type this. Three days ago, I wrote what became the main body of his obituary. I've spent the last couple of days recounting to others his last days, from the day I finally stopped all denial of his condition (Saturday, when the priest came by to deliver absolution), to early Tuesday Morning, when my mother was the last person to have a conversation with him, spending the night in his hospital bed.

Now, I am bouncing back and forth between writing this, preparing to send his obit to people who want to know where they can send donations, and writing what the words I'll speak during the private wake later today.

My uncle Brian is speaking during the mass this afternoon. I think it's a great idea. He said the grace during this past Thanksgiving, when Dad felt good enough to be up to be with everyone there, and we had a great time. I have a feeling that I will be taking a good, if not the better, part of my life to say what I need to say about my father.

I love you Dad.

No comments: