Thursday, March 31, 2011

National Poetry Month: A Prelude

It was October in the Community Church in Allson. They had just completed the service for Jack Powers, who passed away the week before and a pot luck get-together was being held in the church basement. I was making the rounds with friends and other people I hadn't seen for some time. I recieved a cascade of good lucks and well wishes from former regulars at Stone Soup, telling me to keep up the good work.

Then, another poet came up to me as I was mentioning a print anthology I was trying to put together, having only done online publishing since starting to organize Stone Soup.

"I tried to submit work to you the last time you did a print anthology," the poet accused, "and you never got my poems from me. You talked to me and said you would and then the Stone Soup anthology got printed." Or words to that effect that left me confounded for a few seconds.

"Uh..," I started, "I think you have me confused with someone else. The last time Stone Soup put out a print anthology was in 2003. That was edited by Lynne Sticklor at the time. I had nothing to do with that. I only went to Stone Soup a couple of times back then and didn't really get involved with them until 2005, when I started hosting and created the web site."

The poet looked at me, before shaking their head.

"No, it was you."

And this is just one of the many reasons why I have urges to curl up in a ball under whatever desk I'm sitting at when Stone Soup comes around on Mondays.

No comments: