Thursday, March 17, 2011

R.I.P. Frank Miller


I knew him from my travels to the Brockton and Bridgewater poetry scene. First as a fellow audience member at Poetribe and later at the venue held at the Brockton Poetry library. I was never as close to him as I would have liked, but I always admired his even, professional, and respectful tone and his modesty. He featured twice at Stone Soup with Phil Hasouris, and I never got as many clips of him as I wanted for YouTube. He chose to give the majority of the limelight to his friend and co-host for the Brockton series. He gave himeself to fewer but longer poems, some of which were too much for my equipment then. Hence the minute sampling here:






The last time I remember seeing him read, I was the feature at the then-restarted Poetribe in the summer of 2009. I was glad he lent both his voice and support. I was also glad I caught his essence. He read a fragment of a much longer piece, but no one complained then either.





I hear he will be given tribute soon, and the Brockton Library series will carry on this weekend without him for the first time. Now I have one more reason to regret not making it to that series no more than a handful of times over the years (and mostly when I featured). He was another person I thought I had all the time in the world to see and hear. I'll miss him.

No comments: