Thursday, January 15, 2015

Work Sent Out

One of my many resolutions for 2015 was to send out more poems to journals for publication.  I've already sent out to two this week with at least one more planned by tomorrow.  The only delay is in figuring out what to send and going through my Excel file to see if I've already sent certain poems out (I try to avoid simultaneous submissions whenever possible, just a personal neurosis I don't recommend copying).

Except for one or two rare exceptions, I never know what to send out of my work.  I have never had a clue what anyone wants, even if it's someplace where I've already published.   The number of times I've sent something to a literary review thinking it's my best work for them and getting a "no thanks" has to be in the triple digits now.

With poetry publication, it's not so much getting hoping to get struck by lightning as it is to wait for lightning and, when it comes, trying to get out of the way at the last second.

Wish me luck.

No comments: