Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Stone Soup Croutons, 1-26-16, Open Mic Songs of Self



Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked up from poems overheard from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title either then or later. It's likely some of the poets I thank at the end won't even be able to figure out which lines were inspired by their work. This week, I had the title way before I had the poem figured out. Nothing else was easy.

Last night, we had Gladys Hidalgo feature, who was introduced by her friend, prior Stone Soup feature Dexter Garcia. The open mic actually had the highest number of guitar players I think I've ever seen in my last decade of hosting. That and open micer Chris Fitzgerald reading Walt Whitman helped me to turn out today's poem.

I was trying to not write a downer, but when I get writer's block, that's what I tend to do. To anyone there last night, don't worry. It's not you, it's me and my distorted lens. Especially when I'm tired. I also had the Charles Simic poem "County Fair" on my mind. That's also a sad sounding song by Bruce Springsteen.


Edit: This poem, "Stamp," has been published in Issue #3 of Tell Tale Inklings. Please consider purchasing it here. 

Dexter wasn't first, as she introduced Gladys, but she deserved the number one spot.

Special Thanks to Chris Cardone, Mahyrah Shamseddine, Gawaine Ross, David Miller, Bob Tracy, Martha Boss, Susan DeLeo, Angelica Maria, Jason Wright, Chris Fitzgerald, Navah The Buddaphliii, Dexter Garcia and Gladys Teresa Hidalgo. 


No comments: