Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Stone Soup Croutons, 3-7-16, Gauging My Mother's Wisdom


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked up from poems overheard from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title either then or later. It's likely some of the poets I thank at the end won't even be able to figure out which lines were inspired by their work. To paraphrase Lorne Michaels, the poem doesn't go up because it's good; it goes up because it's Tuesday morning. Unless I oversleep and have a day from hell. Then I put it up today.

On Monday we had an open mic. I was expecting a quick night with few people given that we had the Stone Soup Poetry Slam last night. It turned out to be packed! I had a lot of voices to go through. Plus LUCCI, who started the open mic, offered me a poem about his mother in light of the people I lost last year. I told him I hadn't written anything about it yet, and he offered his own perspective back when he lost his mother. This is also the week my Mom went away for the first time since that horrible December. So this week's poem is a bit different today. It's a start. Thanks, LUCCI.


Edit: "Gauging My Mother's Wisdom" is available only from my first collection of Stone Soup Crouton poems, The Collapsed Bookshelf, available at Amazon.

And STILL no one takes the number one spot?!?

Special thanks to LUCCI, Gladys Teresa Hidalgo, Dexter Garcia, Erik Nelson, Ratty, Martha Boss, Gawaine Ross, Rachael Eisenberg, Surat Lozowick, Fat Shuggy, Andrew Golibersuch, Chris Fitzgerald, PunQrose, Michelle La Poetica, Dirty Foot (aka Young Buddha),  and James Van Looy.

No comments: