Thursday, July 20, 2017

On John McCain

When I think of John McCain, I think of this moment, the sole shining moment in what looked like a cantankerous crank's campaign.



Given how much hate has brewed in this country over the last eight years, it seems arguable that this video pinpoints the exact point where he lost the election, refusing to cater to the worst common denominator, the angry and afraid masses looking for an easy target, the people who Trump would later lap up.

I wonder if he ever looks and Trump and thinks, that could have been me if only I gave in to the bile. It'd be enough to give me a tumor.

If he leaves his position (which seems very likely), I'll miss hearing him on the news, as an imperfect figure but also the voice of reason for a party that barely gives lip service to it.




No comments: