Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Annoying Thought of the Day

A while back while doing some editing/publishing related work, I dealt with a situation that resulted in an embarrassing moment for me due to a contributor's lack of thought.

 I could have come down harder on the person but instead chose a solution that ended up working out for both of us, particularly then.

They wrote me back saying, thank you so much for your acceptance! Now I know that it was referring to me choosing to publish their work, but at the time it felt like they were thanking me for my compromise.

I feel like I've been doing that a lot lately. Accepting. Compromising. Giving in to what other people want. Choosing not to fight over things that even now didn't seem worth it.

I've helped a lot of people rather than get angry at them. Sometimes I wonder if it's getting to me.

I often wonder if people will look back on my life, the stories (if any) people will share of how much and how often I helped. How I bent over backwards to make everyone happy either out of altruism or fear of conflict.

I wonder if an outside observer, someone completely objective, would look at what I've done and say, Truly this was a man with no integrity or backbone whatsoever. 

No comments: