Saturday, August 11, 2018

Early Memories

Before the Boston Poetry Marathon was the Boston Poetry Marathon we know today, it was whatever event founder Jim Behrle wanted to call it.

My first participation in the event was back in May 2003, when it was called the Boston Poetry Massacre.It was held at Wordsworth Books, where Jim Behrle was working at the time.

It was my first reading since 1996 and first chapbook was released just a few months prior.

I remember doing better than I could have hoped. Got laughs. Kept my cool. Felt great. Still one of my top five moments.

I remember mingling with  poets afterwars, and was introduced to one of the poets by a mutual friend. It turns out he had seen me before.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "You're the guy who's always wearing green at poetry readings."

Memories like this help  me realize that I need to wear anything but green today.

No comments: