Wednesday, August 21, 2019

I Had Issues! My Review of Inky Stories #1



A silly old review of a mini by David Marshall, who is a friend in the local arts scene. I can't wait for the day he surprises the world with an original graphic novel. He's never mentioned having one in the works, but I can dream.  Originally published September 22, 2012. Edited for clarity.

Part of the problem of this internet era of comics reviews is that with a lot of mini comics I write about, I feel less like I'm reviewing the mini and more like I'm reviewing the website the comics were taken from. This mini from David Marshall represents the best of that type.

Take for example the best reason to recommend this mini: The one full story entitled "Bottle of Red."




This is a fun story which, from the drawing style to the story's setting behind the scenes of the first Godfather movie. It's a great introduction to his work.

Too bad it's already on his website, which I'll also promote.

David Marshall's a longtime layer in the comics world. His work has shown up in high profile horror anthologies like Taboo and prominently in local circles like the Inbound anthologies. Hopefully, more than a few of you will click the website and learn more about his work and the classes on comics he teaches. I'm always hearing from past students of his. There's also a class he'll be teaching up in Somerville, which I might be sitting in on. I think the info is on his website too.

See what I mean? Well, at least you know right away his work is good.

No comments: