Sunday, November 08, 2020

Missed the Parade

 So Biden won.

The best possible outcome.

I'm not entirely optimistic it will last for long. 

I went around town tonight, after any dancing in the streets.

We were back to people waiting in line to crowd themselves into restaurants.

People begging outside convenience stores. Some of the same people I've seen for years.

I have participated in memes celebrating Trump's seeming comeuppance. 

Part of me is afraid that this is a mass delusion, born from millions of minds absolutely sick of him, and that things will return to normal by Monday, as it has for nearly four years.

I created a hash tag--#arewegreatyet--when I started writing commentary. 

We are not great again. We're not even great yet. We're not even back to "normal."

If we don't change something in us from this point on, the horror of the last four years will happen again.

Maybe even with the exact same people.

I have work to do.

I need time to figure out what I need to do.

Celebrate if we must, of course. Gloat a little, of course. I'll be no different.

But afterwards, we should all take time to figure out what has to happen next.

All this talk of being great.

Maybe we just need to be good.

That's hard enough, most days.


No comments: