Friday, January 22, 2021

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 1-20-21: After the Inauguration


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.

I also have an award nominated book out now collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it. 

Art Collins was our post-inauguration feature. He delivered the way I knew he could. Though I aim to be the same killjoy I've become over the last four years, I'm glad the poem from this reading came out as (mostly) positive. 

That's all I want to say for now. Thanks for reading.


After the Inauguration

Kindness can kill you, but they can 
make you vulnerable to final blow.

Family's pulled-down ties and heelless 
shoes lull you to stay and chat

through someone's latest politically 
incorrect hot take tight five.

But barbs crumble before polite silence.
Censors don't bother to stand by with scissors.

Instead, fallen are just fallen, no matter 
how much they try to rise with union dead.

Cancel culture sees no party to crash. Only
a homeless rave outside cathedral by moonlight.

Doomsday preppers scale walls just to see higher.
Gamers realize they want more than side quests.

The forgotten are quickly remembered and
forgotten again. It's all they ever wanted. 

Pigeons peck statues to pop seeds in cracks, for vines 
to pop out, a final push, get old ghosts out of your park.


List of open micers, Tznya Pinchback's name only one not checked off due to leaving unexpectedly
Sorry you had to bail, Tznya.


Special thanks to Jon Wesick, Ed Gault, Jan Rowe, Adam Wise, Nancy Dodson, Ethan Mackler, Carol Weston, Dexter Roberts, James Van Looy, Ninia LaNegra and Art Collins.

No comments: