Friday, November 26, 2021

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 11-23-21: Blackest Thursday


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book out now collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

 
I tried to write this poem around a real world thing one more time. In this case, a real world holiday. Wonder which one it is? 
 
Writing the poem was therapeutic before anything  even happened. I'll give you that much of a hint, just in case the title isn't a dead giveaway. 
 
I have other work to do on my day off, so I'll cut myself off here. Thanks for reading.
 
 
Blackest Thursday
 
Time to celebrate prosper 
over other' plunder. 
 
Need first coffee ever
before counting, sorting roots.
 
Keep barely hidden ideals
under muttered thoughts and prayers.
 
Voting day is long past.
No need to pay anything forward.
 
The more you're all me mine,
the easier it is to be narcissistic.

You don't feel time hanging
as another noose. 

Maybe gravity will spare you
once the gallows drop us all.

Synchronicity unless it's you,
the bird not spared by the White House.
 
As gone and forgotten 
as it's egg.
 
You and the holiday go together
like lightning and water. 

You walk on cracked shell with stilts.
a vibrating church bell could topple you.
 
Among the mess, you dance in 
yesterday's dust, go out with the leaves .
 

Special thanks to Mary Jennings, Ed Gault, Jackie Chou, Chris Fitzgerald, Nancy Dodson, Carol Weston and C.C. Arshagra.


No comments: