Sunday, April 28, 2024

Stone Soup Croutons, 4-24-24: No Rest


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Thank you, Anne Elezabeth Pluto, for closing out National Poetry Month last Wednesday. It's Sunday as I'm posting this. National Poetry Month and National Poetry Writing Month closes in just a little over two days. I'm grateful that the enthusiasm from the audience didn't dwindle at all. Anne had as attentive and and appreciative an audience as our previous three features had. I'm trying to keep the spirit of her reading in my last crouton poem of the month, but really I'm better off telling you to go back and listen to her feature.  

I'm grabbing Anne's book after I post this. You should too.

Thanks for reading.


No Rest
 
No matter how much
life whittle you down,
there's a pair of shoes
to save with spurs
on a horse whose name
you never knew.
At least one lady will
wear her best skull face 
for standing by your side.
Enough latitudes left over
from disappointed parents 
to write an eulogy, one 
last shadow to blot out
Apollo's judgment stare.
A few new babes to pee 
all over your final spot. 
The living have waited
forever to be done with
you. Whos, Whats, Hows
ticked off like menu items
long discontinued. Lone
Bukowski stand-in dances
to his toldya so dance
while your soul fights
with those of angels 
and animals for space 
in afterlife, bottom bunked.
 

Almost put someone else's name down twice again!

Special thanks to Ken Johnson, Mary Ann Honaker, Edward S. Gault, Mark States, Jan Rowe, Jan Rowe, Bil Lewis, Jon Wesick, Robert Fleming, Ethan Mackler, C.C. Arshagra, James Van Looy and special feature Anne Elezabeth Pluto.

No comments: