Sunday, December 16, 2007

Coming Back Up

Thank you to everyone who posted comments or sent condolences via email or phone. I'm back out of my hole, but who knows how long that could last? I've been in and out quite a bit over the last week. When anyone comments on how well I'm doing, I call it my "calm before the bomb."

I would be lying if I didn't admit to having my share of meltdowns since last week, followed by periods of disbelief and denial. The various articles of clothing I've inherited from my father's wardrobe seem to help curtail the denial part at least.

One of the pieces is an amazing coat (LL Bean, I think). Not only is it the warmest coat I can wear, but it's the first winter coat that seems built for an active city person. Until recently, I was never able to wear a heavy coat and my backpack without a good deal of awkwardness and downright discomfort.

Despite this fortune, I had a more negative reaction to this coat, even going as far as telling someone that it was one of the things that made me feel surrounded by death lately.

Today, after helping shovel snow back in Bellingham, my Mom, thankfully, gave me a different perspective, telling me to think of the coat as a hug from Dad.

Yes, sappy. But that helped a lot.

No comments: