Friday, August 08, 2014

Toni Bee On The Air In Cambridge (In Spirit). Thanks to Jean Dany Joachim!


Illustration by George Panagopoulos

WMBR is the radio station for MIT.  Last Sunday at the apartment, my girlfriend called me while she was driving and told me to tune in to the station so I could listen to Poeddiction, a one -hour poetry show which sometimes features local writers.  Last Sunday featured this upcoming Monday's Stone Soup feature Jean Dany Joachim, who was the Poet Populist of Cambridge from 2009-2011.  Towards the end of the show after the host read a poem by the current Poet Populist Lo Galluccio, Joachim asked, "Do you have one by Toni Bee?"

Toni Bee was the Cambridge Poet Populist from 2011-2013, and she currently co-hosts at Stone Soup.  After his insistence (and a quick internet search) Joachim helped close out his interview by reading "Rush," a poem Toni wrote for the late Maya Angelou that was originally published in Oddball Magazine and can be read here.  Better still, you can click this link to download the entire August 3 show.  Joachim brings up Toni about fifty-two minutes and forty seconds in, but the rest of show is well worth listening to.

I was just a facilitator for Toni's poem and I was psyched about this little moment.  Heck, I'm giddy just typing this almost a week later.  I can only imagine how good the actual writer feels about this.  Congrats, again, Toni!  And thanks again to Mr. Joachim, who I hope as many people as possible see this Monday.

No comments: