Friday, September 13, 2019

Stone Soup Croutons, 9-11-19, Starting Over



Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked up from poems overheard from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here. To paraphrase Lorne Michaels, this poem doesn't go up because it's ready, it goes up because it's Friday morning.

That last sentence in the above paragraph may be omitted in future paragraphs, or may not. On one hand, I'm not as under the gun now that I  am giving my self one extra day to write this poem. On the other hand, it's two mornings later, and I'm still cramming to get this poem in.

Martha Boss did an amazing reading this Wednesday and started us off at our new home with grace and style. So did other open mic contributors. It's a shame I was moving around so much I didn't get a chance to take as many notes during the open mic. Too much learning on the job again. You think I would have learned my lesson by now. At the very least, I tried to capture the mood. I hope you approve. Thanks for reading. And thank you to everyone who stopped by Wednesday night.


Starting Over

Google looks down on you,
on this earth, finds you lonely.

Pollock and Steadman fight
for the white wall space
behind your head
before brains are blown.

Keep pen in hand, check pulse.
Save ink for ammunition.
You'll take your own time
saying goodbye, thank you.

In every storm's eye,
there's a dragon whorling
in wait.  Free fall in freestyle
onto its back again.

Every moment a need
to declare self to self.
Say your name in mantra
until it turns cultish.

Be walrus to your carpenter
nail down own story tusk first.

Oh, Toni...
Special thanks to M.P. Carver, Linda Spolidoro, Sophia Marshall, Ethan Mackler, Erik Nelson, David Miller, Bil Lewis, Gawaine Ross, Black Byrd, Carol Weston, Krystal, Skoot, Nancy Messom, Toni Bee and James Van Looy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good, Chad. You're becoming quite good at this.

BlackByrd said...

Love it! #Blackbyrd