Monday, September 16, 2019

The First Time



"Let's Go" was destined to be my favorite song by The Cars. I just didn't realize they sang it at first.

My parents were top 40 radio, and even then it steered mostly to light rock. (I never have to listen to Air Supply ever again, thank you). It took a while before some music slipped through the cracks. Even though it took Heartbeat City to put The Cars on MTV and therefore in my radar, I was able to hear "Let's Go" as performed by Alvin and the Chipmunks on the album Chipmunk Punk, which also covered songs by Tom Petty, Blondie and The Knack, which included their hits "My Sharona" and "Good Girls Don't" of all things.

It should also be known that I was too young and dumb to fully get that the Chipmunks were a cover band. It would be years before I heard the original.

"Let's go" wasn't sung by Ric Ocasek, but I'm grateful he wrote it, along with a number of other hits that became part of my growing up. 

No comments: