Friday, November 13, 2020

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 11-11-20: The New After


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.

I also have a book out now collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Another hastily put together Stone Soup this past Wednesday. I ended up enjoying it. Even though I was so tired I forgot to do a livestream or even record the entire thing, I reverted back to old habits, writing everything down as I heard it, resolving not to go back. Pretty fortunate of me, given that I wouldn't have a recording to go back to this time (since the Zoom readings, I often will stop writing during the open mic and play back the recording, a very bad habit). 

The result of this pared down approach was a poem that felt complete when the night was over. Only for me to be puzzled over it when it was time to type the results in. Very much like my first year of writing these crouton poems. Almost felt nostalgic. Let's see what happens when I actually make a plan for next week. Thanks for reading.


The New After

Hundreds of thousands
have jawbones crumble
their own temples
in happy accident. 
 
Souls salvaged from
own divine sentence,
peace made with
every personal tyrant.

Sweated, bloody brows
in joy, crying for loss
of everyone who holds
land and slaves.

Toilet paper dynasties
crumble, seen behind 
bars, surprised at peace
of acquiesced wars gone.
 
Beatnik jobbed out
to old TV cops, 
even if they're the last 
who know how to count.
 
Crossed out names were people just there to listen. 

Special thanks to Carol Weston, C.C. Arshagra, Ethan Mackler, Nancy Dodson and James Van Looy.

No comments: