Friday, December 03, 2021

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 12-2-21: Poets for a Winning Team


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book out now collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

No Stone Soup this week. Too much was happening this week that affected me negatively physicallym mentally and emotionally. I'm better than I was four days ago. In fact, recent news came out that made me feel fantastic. Thanks for all the concern. Another eight hours, and some of the worst parts of my year will be done with.

Funny enough, the week hasn't stopped me from writing. Still, I wanted to do a Crouton poem. So yesterday I used an old trick and asked people to supply me words and lines that I could spin off into a Crouton poem.

The result is the short work below. It's not much, but it helps me mentally with keeping a routine I'm not ready to switch up just yet. Thanks for donating your words and thanks for reading.
 
 
Poets for a Winning Team
 
You can tell their mental state
by the shape of rings they walk,

stalling for their favorite ex-president
to storm into what passes for a den,

reach out for a jellyfish handshake
and demand their inaugural verse 

for a second, third and fourth term,
to take over as Great Leader's diaphragm.

They yearn for a witch's infection
just to have an excuse to be burnt,

along those moss-covered papers
that never got them any traction. 


Special thanks to Jon Wesick, David Miller, RF Johnson, Jackie Chou and Edward S. Gault.


No comments: