Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The State of Stone Soup, 3-18-20: Let's Bring the Soup, I'll Add the Croutons



Since the COVID-19 crisis has grown, Stone Soup Poetry has cancelled all gatherings for March.  It seems likely that this will expand into April, perhaps even longer.

There has been some poets calling for an online gathering of Stone Soup where we can share our work.

I am mulling over the idea. It is not a bad idea. The big problem is I am still working and seeing patients during the crisis. Even for a lowly health tech, it is very stressful place I am in, with the stress only increasing with each passing week.I don't know how much work I can put into organizing an online "gathering" tonight. We'll see.

Until then, however, I wanted to keep at least one tradition going.

Since 2015, I have been writing my Stone Soup Croutons poems on my blog, a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. Obviously, with the open mic not happening, I can't write these poems.

Unless...

I want to try an experiment. Anyone who has been to Stone Soup or is a member of the Facebook group online is welcome to take part. In the comments section of this post, write a word, a sentence, a phrase, even an excerpt of a recent poem (I would hate to have you post an entire poem, which can count as publication). Submit what  you want before Thursday at 9:00 PM. I will then take as many entries as I can (shooting for all of them) and create a Stone Soup Croutons poem by this Friday.

If you follow Stone Soup online but have never been to an event, here's your chance to be a part of my weekly ritual.

All I ask is that you leave your name so I can give you proper thanks the way I do to everyone on our regular open mic.

This would help me a lot. In return, I will do my best to implement some kind of forum for the rest of us. No one should be completely cut off in this day and age.


10 comments:

David P. Miller said...

"although nobody seemed to claim
tea-powder soup the local delicacy,
such was the mess thrust in my direction."

BlackByrd said...

Hola! Mi Amor! Sak pasé! Blackbyrd is here and missing y'all. Its lonely in my house

Shannon McGinnis Robison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon McGinnis Robison said...

PM
1. An online gathering would be so welcome...especially for this out of state Souper. Lots of online meeting sites are offering usual pay for use platforms at no charge right now. I’ll see if I can help you figure this out, as I’m researching options to start teaching online with schools closed indefinitely.

2. My crumb:

I’m left considering the composition of home.

Corrie said...

Missed the bus

Shannon O'Connor said...

Here's something I wrote recently in my notebook, in a Grub Street class:

They waited for the last moonrise before she was shipped to Mars. They said goodbye, and she went on her one-way ride to prison, on the closest planet to Earth, destined to die sooner than later.

Toni Bee said...

Im a deer caught by moons glare
Ever wo dering how binging of a spell this situation is....hope it aint faux hope we being real being safer

Toni Bee said...

Wondering
Binding

Andrew Pezzelli said...

But tomorrow we resume,
Our battle with the heavens,
As we chase the sun to sleep.

c.kain said...

"we are strong enough to slog
through this sloppy season but together
we can carve ourselves from our own
histories--scrape the last mud from our boots"