Monday, December 22, 2003

My Sarcastic Haiku series first started as a half-joke to keep up with a poem-a-week goal. The very first three were featured in Del Ray Cross' Shampoo earlier this year. When doing open mics, they seem to get the best response. I'm enjoying the idea of writing something I want to write that just happens to be slightly marketable (out of 99% of the rest of my poetry and journalism). I had done similar Haiku back in 1998 or so. Mostly, I'd do Haiku in the persona of a select person I couldn't stand at work (lost, unfortunately, which is probably a good thing). I'm sure the final style I settled on owes a great deal to Rich Mackin and his Book of Letters Series, complete with his own haiku written to corporations like Kelloggs and Starbucks in addition to his usual scathing attacks and inquiries sent to Lever 2000, Star Market, Exxon and many others. As much as I'd like to get a small collection printed by the next zine fair, I'm taking my time on these so they don't become something I just do to get my name out there. However... I came up with these four in light of Saddam's capture and an abomination I saw in a banner add. My gift to you for the holidays. Enjoy. And check the titles for links. 

  Sarcastic Haiku 14: Saddam Footage 

Examined and shaved. 

The children ask their parents, 

what’s wrong with Santa?  

 

Sarcastic Haiku 15: Top Gun: George W. Bush Action Figure 

Flight suit included. 

Put it next to your toy jet 

and watch it not fly.  

 

Sarcastic Haiku 16: Next Republican Doll 

Joe Lieberman with 

democrat disguise kit 

and head-up-ass feature.  

 

Sarcastic Haiku 17: Captured Saddam Action Figure 

Make your own prison. 

Weapons of mass destruction

 not included.

No comments: