Tuesday, June 01, 2004

It's Overrrrrr!

Finally found a second roommate in the 11th hour. I could have taken trips every weekend in May and still got someone. If I had known that...

Though I've never watched a full episode, I now know how Simon on American Idol feels after having dialoguing with idiots day after day with no break.

Two tips for people aparment hunting around Boston in the fall:

1. If you're racist, don't let the interviewer know it. Just nod politely and keep your irrational fears and hatreds to yourself. You know, like they do in the suburbs. You might find this hard to believe, but just as not all dark skinned people think and act alike, neither do white people. And some of us just hate it when you speak and motion in poor-ass Mason wannabe code.

If I had a dollar for every time I took a potential roommate to the roof and they asked if the housing project nearby was "a problem," I'd have only two dollars; but that would be enough in pennies to put in a sock and slug both of them good.

Actually, the second and final person to ask that wasn't even a prospective roommate, but a prospective roommate's girlfriend. This brings me to Tip 2: Never bring a girlfriend or boyfriend to an interview if they're not going to be sharing the cost. If I end up not getting a studio next year, I'll have to subtract 150 points out of a potential score of 10 the next time some doorknob does this. I don't need additional comments and grilling from someone who will already irk me by living with me 2-3 days with rent free and taking up valuable bathroom time in the morning, sounding irritated if I just happen to knock on the door in my bathroom.

At least this experience of heading a roommate search from start to finish has given me some ideas for a longer poem just suitable for certain chapbook series going on all around the area. We'll see. The more likely I have a venue secured, the more likely you'll see samples. I'm way behind in my poem-a-week goal from the beginning of the year. It's time to catch up in a big way.

More info on readings, publications and such in the next day or two.

No comments: