Monday, July 19, 2004

Na Na Na Naaaa....Hello  

I know I'm late for an update.  Bear with me.   To be fair, it's easy to tell by my two last Sarcastic Haiku that I've been preoccupied with my now former job.

New job started today.  Still calling the old job a bit much today; but it was impossible to wrap things up on my last Friday there.
 
I used to think that people who just no-showed on their last day--or even last week--of work--were just being lazy and childish.  Now I think that it might only make sense to jump the smoking, plummeting plane and yell "Gerr-ah-ni-moooooooooo!"

 
First five hours were wasted because I found out after two and a half years of working there that the head doctor put his pre-op patients' xrays in the film closet, where the rest of the doctors just toss them aside.  I had cleaned the closet twice prior to this and had never gotten a "What the hell are you doing?!?" from anyone (not for that anyway).
 
What irks me is that I spent three days prior clearing out and piling up dozens of patient films in envelopes.  It couldn't have been more obvious if gnomes brought the stacks over to the main area to be picked up.  But fate decided to hit me and everyone else at the last possible minute anyway.
 
For over two years, I had escaped the full ire of the head doctor.   On Friday, I got so may a-holes ripped open on my face, he actually felt bad afterwards.  That's what he told someone else anyway.
 
Actually had to stay extra and go in for a bit on Sunday to climb out of my hole and lighten the load my co-workers would have to take up.
 
All those movies about people having dramas and traumas on their last days on the job?  The ones that seem too unbelievable?  All true, man.  All true.  For the first few hours on my last day, I was playing clips in my head of the movie Seven with Morgan Freeman as the retiring detective.  By four, I was almost checking out supply boxes for pretty little decapitated heads.
 
This makes me thankful that the first day was so quiet.  Part of the morning was talking about Fahrenheit 911 with one of my new bosses, who plays Dylan albums.  Ahhhh.
 
More poems, soon.  I promise.




No comments: