Friday, March 08, 2019

Stone Soup Croutons, 3-7-19, Midlife Graffiti



Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked up from poems overheard from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here. To paraphrase Lorne Michaels, this poem doesn't go up because it's ready, it goes up because it's Friday morning.

Laurel Lambert had to cancel last night's feature due to illness. I informed those who were coming specifically for her. A sad and short open mic was the aftermath of that news. Ergo, it's a sad little poem day. It happens.

Not much else to say. I actually like the poem, but I'm looking forward to better news and better poems in March. Thanks for reading.


Midlife Graffiti

Spill your alphabet
over her perfect language.

Compete with drifters
to collapse first in subways.

Make manifestos with face
planted on Cambridge sidewalks.

Finger paint wiped off blood,
put pictorials on Plato's cave.


Special thanks to Lo Galluccio, Jan Rowe, Nancy Messom and James Van Looy. 

No comments: