Thursday, April 30, 2020

My Real Epilogue on NaPoWriMo 2020


This is the most emotionally taxing National Poetry Writing Month challenge that I actually finished.

The pandemic was and has been all-encompassing in my life (as it was and is for everyone). The pandemic a part of almost every poem I wrote this month.

I tried to not make that a thing, but every time I tried to swerve from the subject of global catastrophe, the results were (perhaps unsurprisingly) very lackluster.

The only time I ever started and not finished a NaPoWriMo challenge during a stressful time was in 2007, the year my Dad's cancer was finally beating him down.

I'm very thankful (for reasons unrelated to writing, of course) that the pandemic has not struck anyone dear to me as of today. I hope that luck can continue indefinitely.  I doubt even writing would help me cope with that.

The best part is now that this is over, I'll be writing more poems today, poems I didn't want to share yet in such a potentially public forum.

I don't really believe that no one's reading these posts. In fact, if you're not careful with what you share, it will very often be the wrong people reading your posts.

I live for writing poetry. I don't always live for being a public exhibition for poetry. I'm glad I can now take a small break from it.

So I can get back to the real work.



No comments: