Friday, October 30, 2020

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 10-28-20: New New Normal


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.

I also have a book out now collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Stone Soup happened again. I almost expected it not to. I'm glad I was able to work around my crazy schedule and exhaustion this week as I settle into my new home.

I considered a Stone Soup Open Mic this coming election night Tuesday. Now other people want it to happen. I'll make my final decision later today.
 
Another pandemic themed poem. The title is a bit cliched, but I can't think of anything else. I hate living in the new world and hope it changes again real soon. I'm glad that I finally finished a poem early for the first time since the pandemic started. Thanks for reading.


New New Normal

Unrequited love
lives between binders.
 
Piecemeal campfire tales
passed by webcam light.
 
The Blob takes on
The Raven. Lenore wins. 

Teacher and poet sit 
at opposite ends,

wonder what to expect
of each other.

Congress continues
recess in own disease,

can't stand clean air, burn 
relief, breathe fumes.

Future patients turn comics,
say masks hinder pratfalls.

Innocent put aside rotted 
fruit, turn to crowdfunding.

Duo cartoon frogs duel 
banjos over America's will,

neither with a pond 
for their lily pad.  
 
 


Sadly, Mick left before he could read.

Special thanks to C.C. Arshagra, Erik Tate, Jan Rowe, Bil Lewis, Dee Ah Na, Carol Weston, Nancy Dodson and James Van Looy.

No comments: