Friday, August 13, 2021

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 8-11-21: Divine Vultures


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.

I also have a book out now collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Thanks, John Stickney, for making it easy to host a feature from Parts Unknown. I'm heading out tomorrow back to Parts Known and want to get this poem up before I start packing. The feature was as fun to rewatch as my face was red. 
 
I'm not sure of the title, but I enjoyed the rest of the poem. John made that part fun. I'm taking time off, so I'll just lay out my psyche for another Friday. Thanks for reading.

 
Divine Vultures

Stalk the moon
before it stalks  you.
 
It's trying to prove 
you're not a commie
 
before you're hanged
by a capitalist cross.

The gods have 
gone hard boiled,

framed you for
their blasphemies,
 
planted stardust on
your bottom soles,
 
turned up humidity 
to cover tracks,

found time to pin
the dinosaurs on you
 
Russia ID's you
for both World Wars.

Literal dream girls
steal your prints.

What else do liars
want but apologies
 
before they allow
their monsters to leave.
 
Don't try and escape.
The pets are trained
 
to sabotage your car
before getaway
 
with tools no human
dared teach them.
 
Yes, dog's memory
is suddenly faulty.

Of course George 
Washington wouldn't

be worth original teeth
as character witness.

James Brown keeps
getting off stand 

saying he can't go on 
only to run back.

Take a road trip
between mistrials.

Head to Idaho, take
refuge among taters.
 
Pick a chair until 
somebody lost 
 
mistakes you for altar,
prays themself into patsy.
 
 
Sorry, Jan and James. See you next week, I hope.

Special thanks to John Sturm, Jon Wesick, Patricia Carragon, Nancy Dodson, Chris Fitzgerald, Timothy Gager, Bil Lewis, Linda Wlodyka and John Stickney.


1 comment:

JJ Stickney said...

So clever, thank you again.