Monday, June 13, 2022

In Advance


I want to thank everyone who made Juneteenth a holiday. 

I just remembered that I'll have next Monday off, and I can't wait.

I'm sidestepping the whole outright racist backlash against the holiday for the moment.

Right now, I'm tired of people complaining about having an extra holiday out of the year.

Which, now that I think about it, is very likely still a racist complaint that's just trying to hide its racism by saying, Day off from work? Boo. 

As if we're already spoiled for time off. 

As if anyone is enjoying their employment that much.

I'm always working. I'll be working during Juneteenth, I'm sure.

I just won't be working at my job. And for that, I thank everyone who made it possible.

As a white man, the holiday probably shouldn't benefit me, but I'm grateful that it does. 

Maybe I'll find a way to share my gratitude next Monday. 

Or maybe kicking back will be enough. 

Either way, thank you.

No comments: