Friday, June 24, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 6-22-22: Narcissist Song


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Another week of trying not to make the same mistakes then making them anyway. The online open mic on Wednesday was a brief relief. I feel bad for not having an open mid next week, but I have a vision quest to carry out. We'll resume once again on July 6 (official announcements dropping tomorrow). I don't know if I'll be rested by the time I get back, but I will be ready to dive into the new month.

It was a fun open mic that was ripe with ideas from start to finish. This was fun to work on. I'll see you back in two weeks. Thanks for reading.


Narcissist Song

God has a you complex,
knows when they'll strike.

Does the almighty know
who they are anymore? 

Do they want to end it all
behind your bathroom door,

destroy the universe of others 
to achieve divine solitude, 

write a love sonnet to self
praising own imperial rule,

simplify life with chickens, 
marsh, a moon to sing praises,

an electric car to apartment,
hand puppets to behold hubris.

The Divine One is about to drop
a bomb, beat us at own game, 

start waning off their meds
before taking on all that is,

claims all the sleepless nights
from existence ringing ears,

a thousand drowning clowns,
purposeless as pierced bowls.

Pray for a sandaled prophet
to preach under thirteen ladders,

Maybe an ogre to hide you in belly
do twelve more labors in your place.

Learn to swim for next angry flood.
No rain, just God mocking your tears.


Special thanks to Erik Tate, Jan Rowe, Ed Gault, Nancy Dodson, Chris Fitzgerald, Bil Lewis, Julianne Powers, Carol Weston, Jon Wesick, C.C. Arshagra and James Van Looy.

No comments: