Friday, October 28, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 10-26-22: Death is Easy, Horror is Hard


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Wedneday was Stone Soup's last open mic before Halloween! Unless I do an impromptu livestream or something. 

We got all ghosty then got all Celtic about Halloween then went a different direction entirely. Watch it. It was fun. 

Before going to sleep last night, I came up with a great phrase to use as a title. Then I forgot it and came up with something else for the title. 

Didn't want to choose the easy way out and do another single long stanza poem, so I broke it up into six line stanzas. Turns out I was short two lines with the last stanza. So I just made something up. 

Sometimes with these poems, I forget I can do that.

I have work to do. Thanks for reading.


Death is Easy, Horror is Hard

An art gallery is just
a taxidermy for souls.
Dancing bears are 
dangerous just watching
on cell phones
if you're driving.

Prisoner in own body
for decades grants
no rights but ashes
in upside down hat.
Call it your tribute tomb, 
attended by own ghost.
 
Policies of kindness 
won't extend to skull 
and bones. .Lost head's 
a mouthpiece for all
your enemies, who spray
Republican in your mouth.

Pay for life with death. Don't
know what we pay death
with until told to group up,
pay failed doctors while
relatives at Thanksgiving fight
over all your girlfriends' chests.

Cost to be boss too high
when death happens. 
Currency for immortality 
changed to anonymity. 
Nothing but laughter 
from every black cat. 

None need to waste time
to cross you. They know,
hero or you, death is easier
than what comes next, 
the last toll exact change
only, including eyes.

Happy Halloween!

Special thanks to Jackie Chou, Nancy Dodson, Chris Fitzgerald, Jan Rowe, Jon Wesick, Bil Lewis, Julianne Powers, Kathleen Hulser, C.C. Arshagra Patricia Carragon and James Van Looy.

No comments: