Friday, December 16, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 12-14-22: Bad Samaritan Advice


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
On Wednesday, Deborah Priestly read to a packed audience at the Assemblage Gallery. This was our last live show of 2022, with more to come in the new year. I am grateful to Duane Lucia for giving Stone Soup the space after being away for over two years.

Hopefully, next  year, we'll have a better way to film our live shows with something besides my iPad. 
 
Today's poem is quick. I need time to recover after every live show, and then I need to catch up on everything. I hate that I keep producing poetry that's almost like a dark side to the positivity on display, but that might be how I roll until the holidays are over.
 
Thanks for reading.


Bad Samaritan Advice

Don't pass by the street vagrant
without tossing a counselor card
into their cup.

Sleeping in a pile of acorns 
instead of outdoor concrete
will work wonders.
 
Stop being the banana peel to own 
pratfalls. Your open heart needs
a hotel lock box.

Pour peppermint on it to
ward off potential new lovers.
Dead leaves make good camouflage.
 
Arise with performance plan,
and a spa day in the sauna
to salt your future's soil.

Any kind of blackbird hovering
outside your daughter's window
is their ideal healthcare.

Carol and Nancy joined us by phone again.

Special thanks to Bil Lewis, Chris Robbins, Ed Gault, Nancy Dodson, Carol Weston, Chris Fitzgerald, Trenyce Williams, James Van Looy and Deborah Priestly. 

No comments: