Friday, December 09, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 12-7-22: Annual Leave


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Wednesday night's Stone Soup was good. Almost an early holiday party before all the unofficial holiday parties start. Must have been the urge to wear Santa hats (thank you Bil for lighting that inspirational fuse). I finished the poem that night almost as a single paragraph prose poem and had no problems figuring out the lines stanzas later. Fun work for a change.
 
I guess as with last week, I'm thinking of whatever time off I have coming that messes up my regular routine and my equilibrium. Maybe next week will be title "Sick Day," but hopefully not. 

Looking forward to Deb Priestly's live reading next week. Hopefully, a hybrid system will work and we can all be together for more holiday cheer. 
 
I really wrote "holiday cheer," didn't I? Well, I'll stand by it for now. Thanks for reading.


Annual Leave

Blues are a bitch at dinner,
hippopotamus in room, on table,
 
crushes you before world 
railroads you over again.  

Last breath wasted on cigarette
better spent in jazz club,

gathered lungs grateful
for what's left of air in room,

a tear for every caught breath
while missiles fly overhead
 
taking notice of nothing
while the only open dancer 
 
is a thief trying to dust up 
tracks and growling stomach,

willing themselves to be a fly
in the wind. Humankind doesn't

look like it was meant to stay
on ground, living with itself.

Better to be a tourist in your own
terrain, tuning out to own 

favorite fight soundtrack on 
headphones, bless overphotoed

landscape with silence while
voyeurs with taste surf treetops,
 
never even brushing off color,
shoplifting ourselves from garden
 
of limited delights. to stick in desk
at our babel tower day jobs.

Spoken word carolers.

Special thanks to Patricia Carragon, Bil Lewis, Jan Rowe, Jeff Taylor, Carol Weston, Julianne Powers, Jon Wesick, Ethan Mackler, C.C. Arshagra and James Van Looy.

No comments: