Friday, July 26, 2024

Stone Soup Croutons, 7-24-24: Stars Keep Us in the Dark


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

An all-open mic happened on Wednesday. A chance to get my bearings before more features come down the pipe. We have Charles Coe next week on the last day of July. I I had more time, I would do highlight reels on YouTube and elsewhere instead of just posting the entire video. I would still post the whole video but highlights might actually entice more people to come. Just a thought in my head. 

Richard Spisak's opening poem about Joe Manchin got me thinking about a certain Dr. Seuss character that couldn't take a hint and leave. That made this poem fun to write. The title comes from another of Richard's science poem. Thanks to Jon Wesick for sending a link.
 
Thanks for reading. 


Stars Keep Us in the Dark
 
Marvin K. Mooney 
never left, has hidden
in congress under 
fake names for years.

The cruel shoes gifted
by Steve Martin
fit like moonshine
with filet mignon.

Midnight winds aren't
enough to carry every
handmaiden tale
birthed by force. 

The servants could 
not care less who 
is f--king who. They
just want shelter 
 
to read their newest
crime tale. The one 
with the guy who 
got away for once.
 
The guy who took 
a dead fish and slapped
his old hometown
from the iron age.

The townsfolk said
he was going to die
in his parents' house.
Now he laughs. 

Chuckles all the way
to every town library
and signs all copies
of his bestseller. 

Another fox profits
from the chicks,
falls asleep to nightime
purchases from Amazon.
 
Meanwhile, New-S.A.
announces their first
broodmare on the moon
in red stilettos. 
 
Despots sleep free
of guilt, keeping us
far as possible from 
anything we'd call home.

Sorry you couldn't make it, Jan.
 
Special thanks to Richard Spisak, Jackie Chou, Bryan Franco, Randy Barish, Patricia Carragon, Robert Fleming, Jon Wesick, Bil Lewis and James Van Looy.

No comments: