Sunday, September 13, 2026

In Search of a Goat with a Vote

I would love to write something up about the Goat with a Vote group which was active in 2000. The above photo was taken from the debate at the first George W. Bush and Al Gore debate at UMass Boston on October 3, 2000, but I first encountered them during the Republican National Convention earlier that same year in July and August. 

I interviewed one of them as they were in the middle of rallying the protestors in Philly. Then I was lucky enough to record most of their puppet/live performer show during the UMass Boston demonstrations. 

The premise was a goat (represented by a hand puppet) who wasn't sure what to do with his vote. It was the height of Ralph Nader. 

I wanted to do an article on them, but I never lost track of them as I was in the middle of an apartment crisis that only entered a new chapter after 9/11 happened. 

I re-uncovered these photos recently as I was going through records to scan,  I did some online searching. Google's AI at the top of my searches seem to echo back everything I wrote above and connects them to Bread and Puppet Theater as well as a Philadelphia called Puppet Uprising. I am aware that none of that may be true at all.

I'm tagging and reaching out to other people elsewhere in the hope that people can connect me to people who can speak on the group and what happened to them after 2000 came and went.  

 Anyone who knows anything can comment or direct message me. 

Here's hoping I can uncover more. I'd love to pair what I find out with some digitized audio from my old cassette tapes.


No comments: