Monday, February 04, 2019

February 16 - Brockton Public Library Poetry Series: Everyone Has A Voice

Brockton Library Poetry Series
Everyone Has a Voice
Saturday, February 16
1:00–3:00 Driscoll Art Gallery

Featuring
Theresa Sophia
Lola Bennett
With Open Mic
Featuring You


Theresa Sophia is a Haitian American poet. With long wiry sometimes untamed locks and a 90s personal style, Theresa is reminiscent of the essence of the spoken word, the raw, the real, the unapologetic. Theresa began showing strength in writing at a young age, she wrote short stories, songs, and poems and began performing all across her home state during undergrad, receiving a Masters degree from the University of Miami , Theresa Sophia the poet became the rapper. This shift in the genre would expand her audience and introduce them to Theresa’s ability to connect with them at all levels. She is the Executive Director of her own nonprofit What's On Your Mind Inc. which works to designative conversations around mental health.

Lola Sophia Bennett is a Dominican and French Canadian, age: 13. I started writing poetry more often due to a girls group at the boys and girls club of Brockton , called female Friday. Female Friday was a time we used to talk about our feelings and emotions and we would often write poetry to help express our emotions. Even after the group ended, I continued to write poetry because I found it easier to write poetry than to write in a diary or journal. It is also easy for me to write poetry because I love music and it makes me feel like I am writing a song about my life and feelings. I love sharing my poetry with my family, especially my sister because she writes and reads poetry as well. My family encourages me to write and share my poetry. I hope you enjoy my poetry as much as my family and I do!


This is a free event

No comments: