Friday, April 19, 2019

Stone Soup Croutons, 4-18-19, Things to do Before Easter Weekend



Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked up from poems overheard from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here. To paraphrase Lorne Michaels, this poem doesn't go up because it's ready, it goes up because it's Friday morning.

Jason Wright featured last night. It was his first time back in a few years, and...wow. Just...wow. Some open mics you have to be there for. That's all I'll say. Some of it's on video via my Facebook, but even that doesn't...wow.

If I show you this movie clip from Last Temptation of Christ, will that give you an idea of what took place last night? Maybe not, but...wow.

I don't claim that somehow I found a way to get it all in this week's poem but...wow. That's all. Jason, you couldn't have come back at a more perfect...wow.

I guess I should mention I take a line from a poem in Jason's new book Train of Thought. It's the first time I've ever tried such a direct lift. He will know why once he reads it. Other than that...wow. Thanks for reading.


Things to do Before Easter Weekend

There are thirty ways
to betray the friend
that buys you smokes.
You just need research.

Take a subway train
from the city's edge
to the horizon
of your last stop.

Find the train's last
resident passenger, who is
milk and honey mustached
from living off everyone's land.

They will repeat the phrase
I am an American ghost!
I am an American ghost!
until everyone sees and hears.

This may or may not
prove their statement true
but nod when they say
I am an American ghost!

In return, they'll teach you
how to repeat your mistakes.
The planet's been doing it
for years and years at least.

Before the lesson ends,
you have to get off.
Online news reports
Jesus arrested again. Fuck!

Time to hit the streets
and join the nearest mob.
Maybe things can be different
this one more time. 


Wow. Just...wow.

Special thanks to Laurel Lambert, Perry, Martha Boss, Prudence Francis and Jason Wright. 

No comments: