Friday, May 24, 2019

Stone Soup Croutons, 5-23-19, Left Back



Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked up from poems overheard from Stone Soup's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here. To paraphrase Lorne Michaels, this poem doesn't go up because it's ready, it goes up because it's Friday morning.

Last night was another all-open mic. I've never wanted to preface a Crouton poem with saying anything about a long weekend, but the truth is I'm glad I have a three day weekend after today. I need to do a little recharging after the last couple of months. I have new challenges I want to pick up aside from my weekly poems here.

What I'll be working on will be decidedly offline until I'm ready to share it.  At the same time, I hope some of my new work will help to improve the poems you see on this blog every week.

I appreciate everyone who came to Stone Soup this past month and look forward to more of you joining me as I plan out the summer months. That's right! Summer break for schools are nearly upon us! Maybe that's why this week's poem attempted a school theme. Thanks for reading.


Left Back

Grad school ambrosia
our new after-work dinner.
Ramen rules the head.

You fill it with dreams,
kindersnacks stacked,
toppling like letter blocks.

Divinity school feels
redundant next to
ever-refilling trays.

Both time outs
and your work space
need a Ramones track,

music to beat brats to
before they grow up
to become barbarians,

cross online moats
and storm unseen gates
to tear at your hair again.


Hey, thank for taking the #1 spot Bil. Anyone want to follow directly behind him? Anyone? Anyone?


Special thanks to Bil Lewis, John Lane, Laurel Lambert, James Van Looy and Julia Vogel. 

No comments: