Thursday, December 31, 2020

Things I Have Conflicted Feelings About: The Pandemic

The 2020 plague left me kind of neutered in my everyday life. It's further polarized my relationships with various Trump supporters I know. It left me in a state of anxiety through most of my days. It's a miracle I have been able to function at all.

And yet, if it wasn't for the pandemic, some of what I wrote this year would likely not have happened. The Oddball Foundation wouldn't have happened without the pandemic bringing everyone together via Zoom. More importantly, we wouldn't have found our new home if my girlfriend hadn't been working from home all these months trying to keep up with realtors and house flippers.

It feels strange saying some good came out of our lives during the pandemic, but it's true. We have been very lucky that no one has gotten sick, that  my partner and I are both essential employees and that our schedules were cleared so we could take the plunge. 

Hard to imagine that the world had to screech to a halt for a brief moment for this to happen. 

What's going to happen when the world fully starts up again?

We'll see what happens. Until then, I won't mention my good fortune again.


No comments: