Friday, May 20, 2022

SAFE DISTANCE EDITION - Stone Soup Croutons, 5-18-22: Lost in 2022


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Stone Soup had another online open mic. I was lucky to show up. It's been a long week. I'm ready to close it out. I feel so bad that I was running so late and had so much on my mind, it took me watching the video again to realize I forgot to contact Carol Weston and Nancy Dodson. 

I was also thrilled to see Jan Roe and James Van Looy again after being away traveling for six weeks. That probably distracted me too. I'll do better next week.

Surprisingly, this poem came out pretty quickly and was short. Probably a sign I need to shut up. Thanks for reading.

 
Lost in 2022

Monsters can be so needy,
picking scabs the way
humans pick politicians 

or republicans deem
every conception
as immaculate. 

The way a clock wishes 
they could choose when
to chime their music,

how faith healers imagine
their protruding bones
are slowly retracting.

We react to the world
like slices of burnt toast
thrown into ocean,

tired of scattering children
like seeds, hoping they'll
stalk us up to early rapture.

Let's stay on the phone
to fix our internet,
restore our being,

careful not to alert God
to come back angry
that he left power on. 

Feels empty without Carol or Nancy.

Special thanks to John Stickney, Ed Gault, Julianne Powers, Jan Rowe, Chris Fitzgerald, Bil Lewis, Julianne Powers, Jon Wesick, Ethan Mackler, C.C. Arshagra and James Van Loy.

No comments: