Friday, June 03, 2022

My Friday Morning Music

On Monday, I talked about a band whose music came out slightly altered with their big label release. Today, I bring up a band whose music was effectively neutered. 

I first heard Swell's "Get High" off a 7 inch record sent to my college paper. It was to promote their album, Well? 

The song was great, but it wasn't on the album. Still don't know why. 

That original track of "Get High" always stuck with me. I haven't been able to hear it since. Because there's this version instead. 

This "official" version or whatever you call it? It's awful.

The lead singer of Swell had a bluesy voice that made the original version of the song perfect (trust me). What label executive decided the new "Get High" vocals needed to sound like a bunch of dudebros yelling in a dorm room?

Everyone thinks everything is forever now because of the internet. The internet doesn't save everything, though. Not without effort by people who care. 

I have a feeling the original "Get High" song is lost forever.



No comments: