Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Shampoo: An Appreciation, Part Three

 

Before 2009, I didn't write a whole lot. If I did, I would have submitted much more work to Shampoo between 2004 and 2011.

At least I can say that when I chose my shots I chose them well. 

“Our Metaphors Are Still From Earth” was written in 2006. It's the kind of poem I would never want to write again.

It's amazed how jaded I already was at my job and all the redundant miracles behind the technology I handled every single day. I was only in my second year of employment.

My life needed a shakeup. It happened. Just not the way I would have ever wanted.

Damn monkey's paw.

The poem reflected my pre-shakeup attitude. It reflected a lot more, though I wasn't aware of it at the time.

“Our Metaphors Are Still From Earth” was published in issue #29 of Shampoo in 2017.

A lot was going on in my personal life. I was upheaved again on an emotional level. 

The poem is my least favorite of the four published in Shampoo, but it's an interesting marker of how I used to feel about things and how I used to write. 

Less than two years later, all that would change.


No comments: