Friday, August 12, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 8-10-22: On Strike Against the FBI


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

The live open mic turned into an online open mic. I'm sorry to do that, but I had responsibilities to my injured girlfriend, who I'm taking again to the doctor this afternoon. I've been very short with my crouton posts in recent weeks. Emotionally speaking, this summer has beaten me to a f---ing pulp. No joke. I hope in the fall I can be more mellow. Until then, here's another poem very, very loosely influenced by recent events. Thanks for reading.


On Strike Against the FBI

Last week they threw a smoke bomb
through your kitchen window so you 
couldn't see the water you're drinking,
those chems that are supposed to take 
down your erection like a woodchuck
does your mom's flowers. Nothing grows
where you live. Soil's been despoiled.
Another casualty of some smart 
person's math to divide man from his 
own animal kingdom. It's only a prison
if you are caught while living in it.
Keep moving around dead yard, it's a 
playground instead. Tonight, a double 
matinee of trash fires online. Hope 
livestreamer chooses lightning rod of 
music soundtrack to make all go viral,
an infection that warms cold hearts.

Open mic sheet added later, forgot to photograph it before I left today.

Special thanks to Jan Rowe, Ed Gault, Chris Fitzgerald, Julianne Powers, Julie Marie Hoey, Jon Wesick, Ethan Mackler and james Van Looy.

No comments: