Friday, September 30, 2022

Stone Soup Croutons, 9-28-22: Notes from the Unattended Misanthropes Meeting


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions picked from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

Long week. Summer's gone. Stone Soup said bye this past Wednesday. My camera wasn't working, but I fixed it yesterday. Took me hours. 
 
That might explain why my post seems abridged and this poem is shorter than normal. 
 
I could use the extra time to catch up with everything else. Hopefully, this will result in new Stone Soup events to announce. 
 
Thanks to Jan for the title that helped me make another list poem. Those are always easier to write.

Fall is here. Rejoice. Take in the cold air. Thanks for reading.


Notes from the Unattended Misanthropes Meeting

Hostages to society
ask to be released
from the outside.
They can keep sun.

Members are happy
with the nights, 
all their cell phones
embryonic glow. 

Enough marching
in the fields. Already
made contact, get
us off the streets.

Does Democracy need
so many people? 
Don't need to be in 
same room to be choked.

Weight of loss keeps
fellow lost grounded as 
world keeps spinning
trying to throw us off.

Nothing in blueprint of
human being shows 
place for rock everyone
can sit or stand on.

Doesn't matter what 
California says. No one
can be shelter and 
refugee at same time.

Faith only goes as far 
as what you can afford 
to believe. Sun shines on
sick, dogs, guilty, horny.

Our golden mothers said 
we weren't ruthless enough
Cared too much about
love, hippies without sex.

Mock the road they ran
us off of, but Don't call us 
cowards. We see ourselves
clearly, in devil's bathwater.


Special thanks to Ed Gault, Nancy Dodson, Bil Lewis, Jan Rowe, Chris Fitzgerald, Julienne Powers, Ron Bremmer, Carol Weston, Chris Robbins, Jon Wesick, C.C. Arshagra and james Van Looy.

No comments: