Friday, March 31, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 3-29-23: Single Life


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.

On Wednesday, Frances Donovan closed out the month perfectly. They will be a hard act to follow. I hope you donate to their Venmo via @fdonovanpoet or their PayPal link  here. I hope you go back to hear their feature. 

This poem took a weird turn and became kind of a flashback poem, relating to a time that no longer exists for me. I credit the poetry of Frances for evoking things from a past life I hadn't considered for a long time. 

Once again, the poem feels completely detached from the reading, which I hope you watch if you weren't in the audience.

Interesting to get this out before the National Poetry Writing Month challenge. 

Thanks for reading.


Single Life
 
Pie on face long enough 
becomes face. You pray:

Someone brilliant please 
insert your salvation,

a trickster coyote god 
to help you slip 

into alleged place 
where love exists,

your deer-in-windshield gaze
actually appealing,

her sense of self stretching
to keep you out of rain.

But no. Your body, a Da Vinci
aircraft, does not work.

Again, night club closes 
to move-on bass music. 

You missed Thanksgiving
to still come home alone. 

tea-for-two for one 
in your useless kitchen.

New plan. Wait for hair 
to grow back, ladder length,

throw up new locks,
climb out of own hole.

Snow White, comatose,
turns her head from you.

Rent gets raised too high
to live alone at all. 

Bagging own waste in park
draws unwanted attention.


Ronald declined to read.

Special thanks to Jan Rowe, David Miller, Ari Whipple, Bil Lewis, Robert Fleming, Annette Tarpley, Carol Weston, Ed Gault, Ethan Mackler, James Van Looy and feature Frances Donovan.

 



1 comment:

okelle said...

Thank you for a really lovely event!