Friday, June 02, 2023

Stone Soup Croutons, 5-31-23: Nature Hates Us


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
Stone Soup finally reconvened on Wednesday just in time to celebrate our fifty-second anniversary with Carol Weston and Margaret Wesel. It's amazing how many people you can attract by not being around for a while. As you can probably tell, I was still a little sick during the call. It's been a rough spring with the pollen this year. That's likely what led me to write the poem below and use one of my lesser known catchphrases as a title. 

Hope to be back on track soon with more Stone Soup announcements. Thanks for reading.


Nature Hates Us
 
Druids cancel misty 
mountain hop due to 
too much overcast.
No new date, their 
mouths sewn shut,
as is the new style.
Restraining order
from redwoods, 
phoenix disappoints, 
sets rebirth on snooze.
Dog and cats invite
all to bet on their 
fights online. Geese
walk like tourists
besides latest migrant
flood, destroying 
latest dream of 
an adult treehouse. 
Lose our mouths
and still want food
with the privilege
prescribed to those
to find butterflies
without computers.
Waves grow higher,
humans throw bricks
that get tossed back.
Speak of eternity
as if we control 
it at all. Meanwhile,
doomsday cultists
gather sand dollars 
for new currency.

I had to put Jon Wesick twice! Twice, I tell you!

Special thanks to Randy Barish, Jackie Chou, Jan Rowe, Patricia Carragon, Nemo Sum, Nancy Dodson, Marissa Prada, Jon Wesick, Shockie G., Erik Nelson, Christiana Celli, Jeff Taylor,  Ethan Mackler,  Edward S. Gault, James Van Looy, Karen A. Szklany and features Carol Weston and Margaret Wesel.

No comments: