Friday, January 26, 2024

Stone Soup Croutons, 1-24-24: Last Request


Stone Soup Croutons is a weekly poem I write using lines and impressions selected from Stone Soup Poetry's open mic readers and features. I figure out a title (and sometimes the rest of the poem) later. You can read the other ones I've done since 2015 here.
 
I also have a book collecting the best of my first year of poems. Click here to purchase it.
 
 
Given that I went to a funeral last Friday, it's funny that last week's piece had less finality than this week's. I also broke my non-repetition/no first person rule pretty hard. 
 
Who cares? I had fun. Thanks for reading.


Last Request

I don't want a slash fiction
with a caretaker, me as
mental patient and her boss
locked in a love triangle 
turned carousel circle, 
escaping to build a house 
for her and all of me built
hastily on homeless bones
sealed in untapped tangerine
juices, a rotation of deities
dancing outside our door
to share election literature 
and trying to pluck my strings
before I'm forced to bid them
happy trails, enlisting trees
to protect us, sipping tea 
as I wait to pick off auditors
and anarchists who think
I'm still not detached enough
from society because I buy
condoms, forcing me to be 
as still as a river between two
dams, a garden of unhungry
rock she's too afraid to keep up.



Special thanks to Robert Fleming, Ken Johnson, Jan Rowe, Bil Lewis, Julian Matthews, Jon Wesick, Ethan Mackler, Jeff Taylor, Bryan Franco and James Van Looy.

No comments: